Mayor: Darrell Barta (308) 752-2055
Clerk: Maria Hollander (308) 752-3118
Electricity: Dawson Public Power District (308) 752-2105
Phone: Frontier (800) 921-8101
Water & Sewer (City): Maria Hollander (308) 752-3118
Garbage: Steve’s Sanitation (308) 743-2551
Community Hall Rental: Maria Hollander (308) 752-3118
Post Office: (308) 752-4155
The present village of Sumner, Nebraska (pop. 229) was started in 1890. It was named for Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts, first U. S. Senator to advocate freedom of the slaves.
Sumner was platted in June, 1890. C. A. Edwards was the surveyor. He had arrived in the area some years earlier, and homesteaded a quarter section of land in the Park Valley, north of Sumner. Edwards had also purchased a half section of railroad land from the Union Pacific.
The village of Sumner was laid out in part of section 5, township 11, north of range 19, west of the sixth principal meridian, in Dawson County, Nebraska.
This section of land on which the town was located was given by the United States government to the Union Pacific railroad. The railroad in turn deeded portions of this particular land to George Nichols in January 1887, and William B. Wood in September 1887. The remaining land in this section was deed to Perry C. Wood and Lewis Hammer by the railroad in January, 1891.
It was William B. Wood and Lewis Hammer who deeded the land on which the town now stands to the Wood River Improvement Co. in May, 1890. A month later this company, headquartered in Kearney, with J. H. Hamilton as its president, hired Edwards to plat the town alongside the existing railroad line, the Kearney and Black Hills Railroad.
Sumner lies in the fertile, but narrow Wood River valley, in the northeast corner of Dawson county. The town is just four miles west of the Buffalo county line, and six and a half miles south of Custer county. So naturally the history of this town will include persons and places in Buffalo and Custer counties, as well as Dawson.
Sumner grew fast, and three years later, in 1893 the village was incorporated, and a village government formed.
Information on this page was taken from the "History of Sumner Nebraska" - Researched and compiled by John Stuart in 1965 for the Diamond Jubilee Celebration.
To learn more about the economic and demographic trends in this area, please visit one of the links below:
PO Box 35 - Sumner, NE 68878